Orthodox Christianity in 21st Century Greece
Full title: Orthodox Christianity in 21st Century Greece: The Role of Religion in Culture, Ethicity and Politics, edited by Victor Roudometof (University of Cyprus) & Vasilios N. Makrides (University of Erfurt, Germany), Foreword by Grace Davie. London: Ashgate, 2010, 274 pages, Hardback ISBN: 978-0-7546-6696-7.
This volume offers a comprehensive treatment of the role Orthodox Christianity plays in 21st century Greece from social scientific and cultural-historical perspectives. It breaks new ground by examining in depth the multifaceted changes that took place in the relationship between Orthodox Christianity and politics, ethnicity, gender, and popular culture. It consists of 11 chapters and it is divided into parts: One part is addressing the relationship between Orthodox Christianity and contemporary Modern Greek culture while another part is addressing the connections between Orthodoxy, on the one hand, and ethnicity and contemporary politics, on the other hand. Its objective is to allow scholars to gain a better knowledge of an Eastern Orthodox country that has never experienced communism – and hence to offer a point of comparison vis-à-vis the post-communist Orthodox societies of Eastern Europe. In this manner, scholars can differentiate the institutional and cultural characteristics of Eastern Orthodoxy from those features related to the post-communist legacy. Many of the volume's chapters were originally presented at the panels on Greek Orthodoxy, organized for the 2005 Congress of the International Society for the Sociology of Religion (ISSR, Zagreb, Croatia).
For more information, visit the publisher's website at www.ashgate.com/isbn/9780754666967.
Link to amazon.com to get additional information.
Reviews have appeared in the following journals:
- Archives de sciences sociales des religions (Paris) numéro 164, pp. 281-283, 2013 (Katerina Seraidari)
- Journal of Balkan and Near Eastern Studies, Volume 14, Issue 4, pp. 476-478, 2012 (Nikolaos Zahariadis)
- Temenos. Nordic Journal of Comparative Religion (Helsinki) 48/2, pp. 243-245, 2012 (Alexandros Sakellariou)
- Religion, State & Society (London) 40/3-4, pp. 419-422, 2012 (Isabelle Dépret)
- Gosudarstvo, Religija, Cerkov' v Rossii i za rubežom (Moskva) 1 , pp. 261-267, 2012 (Alexander Agadjanian)
- Istina (Paris) 57/1, 110, 2012 (Michel Mallèvre)
- Journal of Contemporary Religion (London) 26, pp. 320-322, 2011 (Teuvo Laitila)
- Logos. A Journal of Eastern Christian Studies / Revue des études de l'Orient chrétien (Ottawa) 52/3-4, pp. 387-390, 2011 (Nicolas Prevelakis)
- Το Βήμα (Athens), 18 September 2011, S. 15/5 (ΒΗΜΑ βιβλία) (Efi Gazi)
- Religion Watch. A Newsletter Monitoring Trends in Contemporary Religion, 25/5 (September/October 2010) 10-11
- Glaube in der 2. Welt (Zürich) 10, 2010, 30 (Stefan Kube)
- Blog "Graecia orthodoxa" (Vassa Kontouma)
Back to the Books & Volumes Gallery