Invited Lectures, Panels & Seminars
- Invited Speaker: "How Globalization explains the formation of Christianity's branches and why it matters", Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich, Germany June 27, 2018.
- Invited Speaker (plenary presentation): "What is Glocalization? Six interpretations", Center for Glocal Studies, Seijo University, Tokyo Japan, December 9 2017.
- Invited Speaker (plenary presentation): "Orthodox Christianity in the long duree", Workshop on Monastic Economy I, Center for Advanced Studies, Sofia, Bulgaria, November 2017.
- Erasmus visiting professor (multiple lectures): Department of Sociology, University of Padua, Padova, Italy May 8 – 12, 2016.
- Invited Lecture: "The Glocal and Global Studies", Catholic University of Milan, Milan, Italy, May 18, 2015.
- Erasmus visiting professor (multiple lectures), Università degli Studi di Milano, Milan, Italy, May 18-22, 2015.
- Invited participant: international conference "Bridging the Balkans", Centre for Hellenic Studies at King's College, May 15-17, 2013, London, UK.
- Invited participant: international conference on "Multiple Belongings and the Transnationalism of Catholicism: Diversity, Unity and Process of Formation", organized by DePaul University's Center for World Catholicism and Intercultural Theology, April 15-17, 2013, Chicago, IL.
- Invited participant: the Irish School of Ecumenics' (University College Dublin) European Graduate Intensive Program in Intercultural Theology and Interreligious Studies "Translating God(s): Fluid Religion and Orthodoxy", Ovidius University of Constantza, Romania, 2012, Sept. 12-19.
- Invited participant: Author-Meets-Critics panel for R. Holton's Global Finance (London: Routledge, 2012), Global Studies Association annual meetings, July 5-8 2012, Manchester, UK.
- Invited participant:, International Workshop II on Nation, State and Religion in the Mediterranean: From 1789 to 1960 (Van Leer Jerusalem Institute, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, Israel, July 19-22, 2009) & Workshop III on Nation, State and Religion in the Mediterranean: From 1789 to 1960 (University of Granada, Spain, May 9-12, 2010).
- Invited participant: International Workshop Religions on Cyprus: Historical Arguments and Political Problems, University of Erfurt, October 10-13, 2007.
- Invited Lecture: "Transnationalism and Cosmopolitanism", Department of Geography, Miami University, February 7, 2003.
- Invited Lecture: "Transnational Hellenism & the Greek – American Community", Program in Modern Greek Studies, Department of Greek & Latin, Ohio State University, January 8, 2002.
- Invited Lecture: "Competing National Identities in Macedonia: Before and After the Kosovo Crisis", Russian and East European Studies Seminar, Center for International Studies, University of Pittsburgh, November 30, 1999.
- Invited Lecture: "The 'Invention of Tradition' in the 19th Century Balkans", Seminar on the Modern Greek State, Center for Byzantine and Modern Greek Studies, CUNY-Queens College, March 26, 1997.
- Invited Lecture: "The ‘Clash of Civilizations' in Southeastern Europe and the Status of the 'Balkans' in the 'New World Order'", Program in Hellenic Studies, Joseph Henry House, Princeton University, March 7, 1997.
- Panel for Glocalization: a critical introduction, World Congress of the International Sociological Association, Toronto, Canada, July 15-21, RC09. (2018)
- Mid-day special session on Glocalization: a critical introduction, European Sociological Association biannual meetings, Athens, Aug. 30-Sept. 2. (2017)
- Panel for Globalization and Orthodox Christianity, held at the biannual congress of the International Society for Sociology of Religion, Louvain, Belgium. (2015)
- Panel for Globalization and Orthodox Christianity, held at the annual meetings of the Global Studies Association, York St. John University, UK, June 26-28. (2014)
- Panel for Orthodox Christianity in 21st Century Greece, held at the biannual meetings of the International Society for Sociology of Religion, Aux-de-Provence, France, June 30-July 3. (2011)
- Panel for Eastern Orthodoxy in a Global Age, held at the annual meetings of the Association for the Sociology of Religion, Philadelphia, PA, August .(2005)
- Panel for Nationalism, Globalization and Orthodoxy, held at the Eastern Sociological Society's Annual Meetings, Philadelphia, PA. (2003)
Lectures, Seminars & Presentations at the University of Cyprus:
(2013) Lecture: "1974 as Cultural Trauma", (jointly with Miranda Christou) Open University lecture series, Limassol, January 28 & Larnaca, February 13 (in Greek).
(2010) Presentation: "The Sociology of Religion in the Greek-Orthodox world: A Brief Overview & Prospects in Greece & Cyprus", Department of Social and Political Sciences' graduate seminar series presentation, February 17.
(2009) Presentation: "Health and Security at the University of Cyprus' Work Place", October 22.
(2009) Lecture: "The Social Transformation of the Church of Cyprus: From the Ottoman authority framework to Colonial modernity" (jointly with Michael N. Michael), Open University lecture series, Nicosia, Skali, November 4 (in Greek).
(2009) Lecture: "The Hellenic Diaspora: Past, Present, Future." Open University lecture series, Larnaca, February 4(in Greek).
(2007 & 2009) Seminar presentation: Conducting Library Research and Writing Papers for the Humanities and Social Sciences, the Center for Teaching and Learning [KEDIMA] September 22 & October 24.
(2005) Lecture: "What Is Globalization?" Open University lecture series, Limassol, Cyprus, May 23 (in Greek).
Organizer & coordinator of the following invited Cyprus seminars at the University of Cyprus:
- 2016 Lecture by Dr. Ali Quadir (University of Tampere, Finland), November 14th.
- 2015 Lecture by Prof. G. Gombo (Universita Degli Studi di Milano), September 8th.
- 2014 Lecture by Dr. Evgenia Roussou (CRIA, New University of Portugal), November 6th.
- 2013 Lecture by Maria Hammerli (Université de Neuchâtel, Switzerland), November 19th.
- 2012 Lecture by Prof. Chris Rumford (Royall Holloway University), November 6th.
- 2011 Lecture by Dr. Daphne Halikopoulou (London School of Economics), November 18th.
- 2010 Lecture by Dr. Paul Kennedy (Director of Global Studies, Manchester Metropolitan University, UK), November 18th.
- 2009 Lecture by Dr. Berch Berberoglou (University of Nevada – Reno, USA), October 21th.
- 2008 Lecture by Alexander Agadjanian (Russian University of the Humanities), November 4th.
- 2008 Lecture by Dalia Abdelhady (Southern Methodist University, TX, USA), April 8th (co-sponsored by Turkish and Middle Eastern Studies Department).
- 2007 panel on the Greek edition of The New Balkans, November 26th. Keynote speaker: Aristotelis Tziampiris (University of Pireaus, Greece).