Institutional & Administrative Contributions
While the above refer mainly to academic writing pursued on my own or with colleagues and collaborators, it is necessary to add the increasingly important dimension of institutional and administrative contributions.
Over the years, I have served in a variety of academic positions:
- Reviewer for major international publishers.
- Referee for more than 30 academic journals.
- Editor or co-editor for edited issues of scholarly journals or edited volumes.
- International advisory board member and/or associate editor for several high profile international journals (such as the Journal of Political and Military Sociology, Nations and Nationalism, European Journal of Social Theory & Religions).
- Organizer for panels in major international conferences and congresses.
- Referee for various international funding agencies and organizations in the Middle East, Georgia, Greece, the Netherlands and the US.
- Cyprus Program Director for the European Values Study and the principal investigator of the Cyprus' portion of the 2008 wave.
- Cyprus' correspondent for Eurel - sociological and legal data on religion in Europe.
In terms of administrative positions, I have served twice as board member in the Council of the Faculty of Social Sciences and Education (2008-2010, 2012-2014); as a member in Senate Committees; and in various posts in the department's administration. I have participated in hiring and/or promotion committees both in my university and elsewhere, while I co-authored the 2006 report on the future development of the Department of Political and Social Sciences. In 2004-2006, I contributed heavily to the creation of the Sociology major in the Department - through the development of nearly 15 new courses. I have also received several travel grants and invitations to participate in conferences and collaborative projects (such as the Trauma Project of Yale University's Center for Cultural Sociology). Additionally, the 2008 Cyprus wave of the European Values Study was sponsored by Tilburg University's EVS Foundation.
As an expert commentator, I have contributed several op-ed pieces in Greek newspapers; while I have been referenced and/or interviewed in news reports, radio shows & journalist stories that have appeared with the Serbian National Corporation, the New York Times & BBC.
Back to the Evolving Research Agenda